Friday, March 20, 2020

My Dearest Sister - March 20, 2020

My Dearest Sister,
News here is not good, on this, the 6th day of Coronacation. As feared would come to pass, tighter restrictions have been invoked. Non-essential businesses have been closed by the Governor. You will take comfort in knowing that tanning salons and boutique coffee shoppes will remain open, as, here in California, they are considered "most" essential. The Governor is many things, but a fool he is not. He knows better than to provoke a reason for upheaval in the streets.
Many of our neighbors have been passing by as I putter about the gardens. I speak to them from a distance as they stop to chat. News from outside our neighborhood fills the conversation.
I dare say, the most woeful adversity of this entire ordeal is that when a dog is walked by my fence, I’m not obliged to pet it! Lest I transmit to him or him to me! Oh, what these adorable four-legged creatures must think of me to not offer nay a pat or a scratch? I stand, but mere yards away, from what would be the simplest of joy in this wretched time, but, alas, it is not meant to be.
I did manage to rebelliously defy the orders of The Governor and ventured to our office this morning. Deliveries were expected and must be met. And met they were!
I also manage to stop by a corner mercantile on the way home. A charming establishment full of treats and sundries, replete with a small bell above the “7-11” sign on the door that rang when one entered. From dish soap to bananas, from acetaminophen to potato crisps, it was a delight to find so much in a small space. It reminded me so of the General Store of our youth.
Additionally, your-sister-in-law and I were able to prepare our taxes and deliver them to our trusty accountant. I hope to see them to Washington in haste! I do believe they could most surely use my money at this time. I’m writing to let you that I am outwardly amused by this notion that my contribution of levied taxation, by itself, would be crucial in the nation’s recovery effort.
Julie has been toiling away at the business from home, making sure that we will survive this turn. I could not entrust this task to anyone other than her, but I dare say, she knows better than to entrust it to me… We each have our parts to play and, we have learned, bookkeeping should not be mine.
We hold you, your charming husband, and your dashing boys and their families in our prayers,
Sincerely and respectfully,
Your Brother and Sister-in-Law.

____________________________________________
Lon Gowan is an actor/stuntman/writer and the most excellent brother a sister could ever want. His "My Dearest Sister" letters may be the best thing to happen to me during the COVID-19 Quarantines.

Julie Dolan is an actress, musician and favorite Irish wife/Las Vegas Showgirl. We were thrilled the day she married my brother.

#COVID19  #LonGowan  #MyDearestSister #Julie Dolan #Coronacation

No comments: