Tuesday, March 17, 2020

My Dearest Sister - March 17, 2020

My Dearest Sister,

News from the North is grim, on this, the 4th day of Coronacation. San Francisco is to be shut down for a fortnight and seven. The taverns, pubs, and public halls all closed on this, St. Patrick’s Day. Sad times indeed. I fear we shall share the same fate soon.

This morning was again gloomy. I saw no earthly reason to rise, save that I may not get the best of sleep tonight, so I did.

I managed some menial chores, but nothing that gave me a sense of true purpose. But then, by God’s good graces, the clouds broke and once again the sun returned along with my spirits. As you could imagine, I was off to wake snakes!

I cleared the second garden, which was no small task and prepared the soil for sowing tomorrow. I did manage to get more beans in the first garden. Our summers are so dreadfully hot that I fear that they may up and wilt by mid-June. I will enjoy the spoils as long as the earth provides.

I’ve decided to plant some Italian squash in containers. Perhaps it is the solitude that attracts me to this whimsical flight of horticulture, but social norms be damned! I shall stake my squash! I write you letting you know that I am prone on the floor in audible laughter, so you know that I too see the silliness of my folly, lest you think me an absolute fool.

Your Sister-in-Law, being of Irish persuasion, has declared that this is her evening and she shall command what the evening will hold! I was ollydoddled to find that there was not to be corn beef, boiled cabbage, soda bread, and potatoes for the evening meal, but instead, oven-roasted flatbread, hummus, and mixed vegetable salad with balsamic vinaigrette! If I live long enough to see the return of the Good Lord himself, I will still be young enough to be surprised by that woman.

I must take leave. Julie has opened the whiskey and ihas begun to pour.. I must make the toast… there are still some traditions that even your sister-in-law would not sweep aside.

I do hope this letter finds you and your handsome husband well. Our kindest salutations to your boys

With our deepest love,

Your Brother and your Sister-in-Law.

___________________________________________________

Lon Gowan is an actor/stuntman/writer and the most excellent brother a sister could ever want. His "My Dearest Sister" letters may be the best thing to happen to me during the COVID-19 Quarantines.

#COVID19  #LonGowan  #MyDearestSister

No comments: