Sunday, April 12, 2020

My Dearest Brother - April 12, 2020

My Dearest Brother-

I do apologize for being remiss in answering your charming and delightfully informative missives. I have read them aloud to my Best Beloved Husband as we enjoyed our suppers of mixed vegetables, hearty brown rice and a peculiar culinary invention all the way from China called "To-Fu". I was excited to sample this treat, given China's rich history and colorful culture and anticipated a delectable adventure. I must say that upon my first taste I was unimpressed and even a bit put off by its complete lack of flavor and bland texture. I then remembered the story of when our great-grandmother first encountered a grapefruit and, having been given no instruction on its preparation, tried eating it raw both with and without the peel (too bitter!), but declared it passably edible when fried in her cast iron skillet with plenty of bacon fat.

And thus it goes with the To-Fu, for we soon discovered it to be quite delicious when well-seasoned in garlic and herbs, dipped in a batter much like one would dredged poultry with, and deep-fried until crispy brown and crackling. Of course, one might argue, that anything could be made palatable with this method of preparation - even Nanny's grapefruit. And so begins our week of experimental meals where we endeavor to make the best of our dwindling stores with garlic, oil and excessive temperatures. As you are a gentleman vegetarian, I'm sure you, unlike some of our other male acquaintances, will refrain from offering an unsolicited disquisition regarding the culinary arts. (Here I conjoin words to emphasize my consternation at being lectured about a subject I have studied all my life. #cocksure_blatherskite )

I fear the Plague has made the days run together and I am just realizing that today is Easter! I invite you to cast your mind back to Easters past and reminisce with me with these images from our childhood.

Happy Easter, Welcome Spring
and all my love to You and the lovely Irish Wife,

Sarah and the BBH
_____________________________________
Lon Gowan is an actor/stuntman/writer and the most excellent brother a sister could ever want. His "My Dearest Sister" letters may be the best thing to happen to me during the COVID-19 Quarantines. 

Julie Dolan is an actress, musician and favorite Irish wife/Las Vegas Showgirl. We were thrilled the day she married my brother.

Susan Terry is a mediator, consultant, musician, and storyteller as well being our Esteemed Mother. She and her Yankee Husband and Gentleman Farmer, Stephen Parker live in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont at High Reach Farm

Bill Quern is my Beloved Husband and we're known collectively as Box and String.

#COVID19  #LonGowan  #MyDearestSister #Julie Dolan #Coronacation 

No comments: