Monday, April 6, 2020

My Dearest Son - April 6, 2020

My Dearest Son –
Today I quietly sit reflecting on a time years ago when, as a young mother already with one child, I eagerly awaited the birth of my second. All had gone well and my three year old kept asking when her baby brother was going to arrive. Your birth father and I had decided with our oldest and now this soon to be sibling that we would await the birth to know whether we had been blessed with a boy or a girl. We knew we would be happy with either.
On that beautiful April day in New Orleans, the weather was most pleasant and warm, in the upper 70’s and low 90’s. We finally had some relief from the choking smoke from the underground fires that had been burning for over a month. At times the smoke was so thick that outdoors, one could not see more than eighteen inches ahead. Ambulances could not run and all fire trucks in the area were at the site of those most wretched fires. Much of that part of the city was built upon trash & fill which after a number of years had spontaneously combusted, creating a frightening health hazard. Of course, since it was so close to the birth of our already much loved child, we were concerned as to whether we could reach Ochsner hospital in time.
April 6, however, was clear and lovely. I had a doctor’s appointment and we were to go in for what we thought might probably be the next-to-last doctor's visit before the birth of the baby, due in two weeks. There at the doctor’s office, he graciously and professionally asked how I was feeling. I responded that I felt quite healthy and tippity-top except for some lower back pain. As he began to check my nether area to confirm all was well, he suddenly terminated the examination and announced that now would be a good time to head for the hospital; I was in labor. A number of hours later, you, my beautiful baby boy were here. We did not have a name chosen either for a boy or girl and so we began what was to be a very short discussion about how you would be addressed for the rest of your life. The name Lon, of course, was for your birth father’s grandfather, Lon Price. He was an itinerant preacher, builder, stone mason, fiddler, and singer. He, like you, was creative in so many ways. I was happy for that name not only because I dearly loved Granddaddy, but also because one of my favorite actors was Lon Chaney, Jr.
For your middle name we chose David which was the name of your father’s best friend, Carroll David Harris. Oh how we have merrily laughed over the years at the difficulty so many people had with your three-lettered first name. You received mail for Loon, Lawn, Lahm, Larn, L.N. and several others which I have chosen to forget. However, the favorite sobriquet of all was given to you by our dear friend Lena who always referred to you as “Mr. Lum Davis”.
I have, no doubt, exceeded your interest in and tolerance for stories of your birth day. I will also avoid sharing any of the more personal and possibly embarrassing stories of your dear childhood out of concern that some, other than close family members might find themselves, somehow, reading this communique. Their eyes should stay to their own business except possibly to read that your being in my life has been nothing but a dear blessing.
I thank the dear Lord that you have weathered the difficulties that life has given you and you have used the strength and wisdom gained to make you the amazing man you are today. I am so very proud of you and so happy that you found your wonderful Irish wife.
Much love to you today on your birthday. I am so sorry to not be there with you as Steve and I are every year, but I am grateful for this modern mail service that assists our household in connecting to yours.
As ever,
Your loving mother.

_____________________________________
Lon Gowan is an actor/stuntman/writer and the most excellent brother a sister could ever want. His "My Dearest Sister" letters may be the best thing to happen to me during the COVID-19 Quarantines. 

Julie Dolan is an actress, musician and favorite Irish wife/Las Vegas Showgirl. We were thrilled the day she married my brother.


Susan Terry is a mediator, consultant, musician, and storyteller as well being our Esteemed Mother. She and her Yankee Husband and Gentleman Farmer, Stephen Parker live in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont at High Reach Farm

Bill Quern is my Beloved Husband and we're known collectively as Box and String.

#COVID19  #LonGowan  #MyDearestSister #Julie Dolan #Coronacation 

No comments: