Monday, April 6, 2020

My Dearest Lon - April 6, 2020

My Dearest Lon –
It is April 6, your birthday and I take pen in hand to communicate my warmest thoughts about you on this day of celebration.
While I was pruning trees in the Yule Tree Plantation (here I insert a small drawing to remind you of that of which I speak) 🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲 , I was trying to remember my clearest early memory of you. What came to me was a morning on a school day in 1974 or 75. I was living with the Taylors; their son Danny had been bullied at school the day before and was reluctant to return. In the door you walked, confident and breezy, said hello to everyone, put your arm around Danny and said “Ready? Let’s go.” The two of you walked happily out the door. Phyllis turned to me and said with considerable emotion, “That Lon Gowan is a remarkable young man.” I, who was beginning to take a warm personal interest in your mother, raised my eyebrows at this character assessment and thought to myself, “Hmmmm.”
So began the best event of my life, when the Terry-Gowan family came through the door. What luck that not long thereafter I should move back home to Vermont to live on the family farm. What even greater fortune that you all should make the journey with me! For me, it was merely a return home, to a place of familiarity and memory, but for you it was the pioneer spirit of your Celtic Appalachian ancestors re-embodied. Even today, you show the same enthusiastic spirit of adventure and enterprise in all you undertake.
Another happy memory among many is during after dinner kitchen clean-up chores developing humorous routines together. Oh how we did laugh. I particularly remember one about Dexter Poindexter, the bashful boy, hesitant about farming because he didn’t like getting his hands dirty. (Here I insert a jovial drawing to indicate how much I enjoyed this wonderful foolishness which ended many a hard day of work.) 🤣
I have been so very blessed to have you in my life and I feel that every day. Thank you for all the wonderful memories, much joy and laughter.
My warmest greetings to your lovely Irish wife. Your Saintly Mother and I miss both of you so much.
Your ever-loving father,
Steve
_____________________________________
Lon Gowan is an actor/stuntman/writer and the most excellent brother a sister could ever want. His "My Dearest Sister" letters may be the best thing to happen to me during the COVID-19 Quarantines. 

Julie Dolan is an actress, musician and favorite Irish wife/Las Vegas Showgirl. We were thrilled the day she married my brother.


Susan Terry is a mediator, consultant, musician, and storyteller as well being our Esteemed Mother. She and her Yankee Husband and Gentleman Farmer, Stephen Parker live in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont at High Reach Farm

Bill Quern is my Beloved Husband and we're known collectively as Box and String.

#COVID19  #LonGowan  #MyDearestSister #Julie Dolan #Coronacation 

No comments: