Thursday, April 2, 2020

My Dearest Children - April 2, 2020

My dearest children and your beloved spouses –
Thank you so much for your recent letters informing us of your well-being and the daily goings-on such as lettuce planting, protective mask-making and such. There was truly sad news from each of you as there is daily on the flickerbox. Even in spite of that, your note of humor and looking upward has lightened my mood.
We are safe and snug in our cottage and usually in good spirits, yet today when noticing the dancing about of small white flakes mixed with glistening droplets falling from the sky I heaved a sigh. Here I insert a small picture which indicates my displeasure. ☹️
My Yankee husband and his brother headed out to the Christmas tree field on the hill behind our cottage this morning to work for a few hours. He is in hopes of taming the excessive growth of the trees so that he may reclaim the field for sales this year. Lord knows we are going to need the income by that time. Even if that were not the case, you know how he loves the holiday season and the sight of families and pets arriving in their various means of conveyances, laughing as they eagerly approach and ready to find their perfect Christmas tree. You see this small heart here ❤️ to indicate the joy and fulfillment he feels at this time of year. Our year, of course, is measured by the trees. Now we are in Cleaning up the field season, followed by shearing season, then mowing season, then preparation for the holiday season, then THE SEASON blessed by happy sounds of families in the field, which is then followed by Oh Please let me rest season. The seasons of our year are quite predictable even if other events are not.
Our kitties are quite well, as I know you were wanting to hear. It is a pity, Lon, that the dreaded Sneezing Cat Contagion prevents you from knowing our little ones better but I can only imagine that you hold them dear in your heart and any disparaging remarks are only made in jest.
Several days ago I was overtaken in a most vexing way. I suddenly felt the urgent need to clean the pantry. I cannot imagine what I was thinking or why it was important. These days no one comes to our house and if they did they wouldn’t be spending time in our pantry. Of course, those reasons aside, the strange part of this was my urge to clean anything. As you know, God has gifted me with a highly refined ability to ignore any household dishevelment. I am now wondering if this foolishness was some form of seizure or illness and the thought that it might descend on me again truly does give me the collywobbles. I must say, though, looking at a tidy pantry does give me a well-earned sense of satisfaction and perhaps just a touch of superiority over those few others with untidy storerooms.
I miss you all and look forward to the day when we can be together. I am greatly comforted by knowing of the love you have for one another. My love to you and my handsome grandsons and their dear partners.
For now,
Your loving mother Susan

_____________________________________
Lon Gowan is an actor/stuntman/writer and the most excellent brother a sister could ever want. His "My Dearest Sister" letters may be the best thing to happen to me during the COVID-19 Quarantines. 

Julie Dolan is an actress, musician and favorite Irish wife/Las Vegas Showgirl. We were thrilled the day she married my brother.


Susan Terry is a mediator, consultant, musician, and storyteller as well being our Esteemed Mother. She and her Yankee Husband and Gentleman Farmer, Stephen Parker live in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont at High Reach Farm

Bill Quern is my Beloved Husband and we're known collectively as Box and String.

#COVID19  #LonGowan  #MyDearestSister #Julie Dolan #Coronacation 

No comments: