Wednesday, April 1, 2020

My Dearest Brother - April 1, 2020

My Dearest Brother-

Tonight we celebrate, for our wise governor has made relief funds almost instantly available to all within our state who have temporarily lost employment due to restrictions imposed by the Corona Fevers. Some may protest that such socially-minded benefits do not strengthen our democracy, but in fact encourage too heavy of a dependence upon our already weakened infrastructure, but I say "Nay!", these are the funds to which we have all made contributions through our labors and as such we are entitled to recompense as the situation merits. Thankfully our governor and I are of like mind (and party) and so today I welcome the slight increase in our household funds and relief from the Devil Debt. Still, I long to be gainfully employed once again for I do not wish to become accustomed to this life of imposed idleness.

Meanwhile, Mr Singer has sent me another of his marvelous sewing machines! This one is quite a bit more durable than the last and I set about making myself useful by stitching up more protective masks for everyday wear. I am happy to finally have a use for the overflowing bins of colorful cottons I seem to have amassed unawares. If you and the Irish wife would like some for yourselves, you have only to ask and I will ship them off posthaste.

In our childhood we would have celebrated this first of April with playful pranks, but I fear that this year has been been one malevolent jape after another played upon the whole of our nation and I cannot bring myself to add to the waggeries we already must endure. Yesterday I received news that the father of an old friend had crossed over (not from the Corona, but from an equally insidious illness), and so tonight the weight of another death and the passage of time weighs heavily on my heart. Never fear, there will be whimsies in our future, but tonight an ancient solemnity claims the pulpit for a purpose all its own.

Lest I appear too morose, I include a light-hearted picture that is not of my new sewing machine, but is of one of the resident felines, Nigel, sporting his Dome of Indignity.

Be well, my brother,

Your sister, Sarah

_____________________________________
Lon Gowan is an actor/stuntman/writer and the most excellent brother a sister could ever want. His "My Dearest Sister" letters may be the best thing to happen to me during the COVID-19 Quarantines. 
Julie Dolan is an actress, musician and favorite Irish wife/Las Vegas Showgirl. We were thrilled the day she married my brother.
Bill Quern is my Beloved Husband and we're known collectively as Box and String.

#COVID19  #LonGowan  #MyDearestSister #Julie Dolan #Coronacation 

No comments: