Thursday, April 2, 2020

My Dearest Sister - April 2, 2020

My Dearest Sister,

This morning I went to check on the hummingbird nest and the nestling was gone. I do pray it has matured and flown away and not that some evil has fallen upon it. I no reason to suspect Squirt or his older friend, who your Sister-in-Law has aptly named Mr. Persnickety, of foul play, as the shear weight of their girth from feeding on bird seed and peanuts would surly break the branch if either made an attempt. I searched the ground beneath the branch and there was no sign of a grounded bird and no feathers to indicate there may have been a dastardly deed by a neighboring cat or an unfortunate tree rat. I did see Hummingbirds in the yard going about their hummingbird business, so my best hope is that it was time for the little one to take flight and I will see her at the feeder soon.

My planted seedlings are sprouting and bursting through the soil. I am eager to thin but must wait. For now, it is water and weed.

I spent some time on Mr. Bell’s wire today conversing with old friends. It was a delight to catch up.

I received a letter today that I believed to be from our Mother and yet, even though familiar, it seemed a bit strange. There was talk of tidying and cleaning that set my suspicions. Although Mother is never averse to labor and hard work, there is her work and then there is “The helps” work. I will correspond with her soon to make sure she is well, but I would not be surprised if someone is posing as her and will shortly be asking for money or informing us of a distant relative in need… beware.

Today while in the garden I heard a shriek from the house. I ran to see what the matter and your Sister-in-Law informed me that we had a lizard in the house. Now, while Julie will befriend Squirt and Mr. P, who are relegated to the back and front yards and are most certainly not welcome in the house; well, you can imagine that if that is the standard for them, then a lizard in the house she would not abide.

I took the broom from her hand before the reptile felt the full force of her Irish temper and scooped him up to take him outside. Julie was none too happy that I released him until I informed her that he ate spiders. She has agreed that he may inhabit the back with the squirrels and hummingbirds, but the indoors are most defiantly off-limits… spiders or not. Here is a quick drawing of the lizard so that you may know that it was indeed a lizard and you can tell that by the drawing that I have made to prove it so. 🦎 Here is a quizzical face that expresses that I was confused by my own words, but hope that you understand anyway so that I don't have to rewrite for better comprehension. 🤔

I pray you are happy and sound, as too you BBH, the Best Boys ever and their fanatical families.

Yours,

Your Brother and Sister-in-Law.

_____________________________________
Lon Gowan is an actor/stuntman/writer and the most excellent brother a sister could ever want. His "My Dearest Sister" letters may be the best thing to happen to me during the COVID-19 Quarantines. 

Julie Dolan is an actress, musician and favorite Irish wife/Las Vegas Showgirl. We were thrilled the day she married my brother.


Susan Terry is a mediator, consultant, musician, and storyteller as well being our Esteemed Mother. She and her Yankee Husband and Gentleman Farmer, Stephen Parker live in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont at High Reach Farm

Bill Quern is my Beloved Husband and we're known collectively as Box and String.

#COVID19  #LonGowan  #MyDearestSister #Julie Dolan #Coronacation 

No comments: