Sunday, April 5, 2020

My Dearest Brother - April 6, 2020

Happy Birthday, My Dearest Brother!

I'm sure this pandemic is not how you would choose to celebrate, but knowing you, I imagine you will make the best of a bad circumstance with a feast from your garden and dance with your Irish wife. I envision fairy lights in the perfumed trees and the soft strains of old familiar tunes emanating from the victrola on the lanai. If this is not how it befalls, please don't tell me differently, for I so enjoy my own imagination.

I have been quite industrious in the construction of cloth face masks for everyday wear. Our governor has been quite insistent that every one of us is to don one of the wretched things when in public and so I have taken it upon myself to create a design that is as comfortable and fetching as possible. I get closer with every permutation and hope that those who are wearing one made by my hand are not silently cursing me and my pitiful sewing skills.

Tomorrow I make an excursion to the local post office and hope that our couriers are up to the task of delivering my meager offerings to their intended recipients. I fear our pony express is as besieged by the fever plague as the rest of our nation, indeed the rest of the known world, and I only hope they can make do their promise to deliver in fair weather or foul. I offer up a prayer and a thank you for our delivery workers that they may stay healthy and strong in these trying times.

Back at home we have been enjoying several serial stories on the flickerbox, but I must say I am quite put out by a reoccurring distraction; namely the distinct lack of lighting in many of the scenes. While at first I thought it might be an artistic choice to set a dark and somber tone to a moment, I am beginning to suspect that the makers were attempting to save a penny by depicting as little as possible. Why pay for costumes and scenery one cannot see? Simply turn down the lights and leave the rest to the viewer's imagination! Well, if I wanted to use my imagination I would read a blooming book. Turn on the lights, you miserly pikers! Here I insert a code indicating the termination of my emotional outburst. #endrant

I have attached an image of myself wearing one of my own creations whilst enjoying the spring blossoms on our daily perambulation in our local burying ground. While a cemetery may seem an odd place to enjoy one's leisure, we find it is as inviting as any park and the inhabitants do not seem to mind our trespass. A walk amongst the deceased makes me enjoy being not-dead all the more.

So happy birthday, dear brother! We are so glad you were born and and even gladder you are not yet dead! Enjoy your day!

Your Sister,

Sarah 

_____________________________________
Lon Gowan is an actor/stuntman/writer and the most excellent brother a sister could ever want. His "My Dearest Sister" letters may be the best thing to happen to me during the COVID-19 Quarantines. 

Julie Dolan is an actress, musician and favorite Irish wife/Las Vegas Showgirl. We were thrilled the day she married my brother.


Susan Terry is a mediator, consultant, musician, and storyteller as well being our Esteemed Mother. She and her Yankee Husband and Gentleman Farmer, Stephen Parker live in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont at High Reach Farm

Bill Quern is my Beloved Husband and we're known collectively as Box and String.

#COVID19  #LonGowan  #MyDearestSister #Julie Dolan #Coronacation 


No comments: